Saturday, November 10, 2012
November 9 update
Dear Friends-
I wanted to give you an update on some recent news. I've spoken to a few of you already as resources for information or contacts that could help me along. Apologies as I have not gotten with you each individually, but it has been a long week or two.
I have a medical condition that is yet to be fully understood. I won't give you the play-by-play.....but in short, I have a large (17cm - yeah, damn big) "mass" near my left kidney and a few small lung spots. The mass displaces my kidney downward out of it's normal position. After nearly two weeks of meetings and test with the oncologists, radiologists and surgeons at IU Cancer Center, the next course of action is to remove the mass and then proceed with the next appropriate treatment pending full pathology. There are some other potential outcomes in play, but statistically, as well as based on the images and review with 6 doctors, the expectation is a renal/kidney cancer. For all the potential issue this could be, surgery is the 1st action to take.
So far, all the secondary tests have come out clear (MRI brain scan, full-body nuclear bone scan, blood work, no lymph involvement according to the second CT). While that is good, these things wait for no one, so it is best to move quickly so there is not further spread.
I have surgery scheduled next Friday the 16th at 1 pm with Dr. Rick Bihrle [BERL] at IU University Hospital. Dr. Bihrle comes as a highly regarded surgeon of urology from many sources and has been working in urology and urology cancer for 30 years. For further treatment, Br. Bihrle would team with colleagues in the IU Cancer center, who are highly specialized oncologists that each deal with one single disease (i.e. Larry Cripe with Chuck Pagano, or Craig Nichols with Lance Armstrong). Once the final pathology is back, we know who to team up with to finish things off.
This is difficult information to consume in a relatively short period of time, but to Dr. Bihrle's point, I have to keep a strong frame of mind and help my body to be as healthy as possible to accept treatment, not only for me, but also my family.
As time permits, Keri will be setting up a blog or care page so you all can stay informed if you wish. She won't be shy reaching out and accepting help where needed too. I please ask that you do not forward this e-mail. I DO NOT WANT TO FIND THIS ISSUE ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!
From a selfish perspective, I need my friends and family informed.........I need your prayers, support, and knowledge.
I might not always be available to talk....if so maybe a text or email and we could catch up at some point. A lot coming up soon!
Love to you all, Phi Alpha, and may God be with us all.
Your friend in Christ,
Christian
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment