A couple weeks ago, I
visited the hospital where Christian had two major surgeries, treatment
after treatment, and appointment after appointment. I never wanted to
walk through those doors again, and thankfully, the appointment was in a
meeting room barely inside the hospital doors. I just wasn't ready to
walk down the same hallways and sit in the same waiting rooms we had
before...but together. His amazing oncologist offered to meet with the
family to discuss Christian's battle. Christian's parents were there
too. What he said was profound! But it didn't pertain so much to
Christian's prognosis and physical battle. It had everything to do with
his spiritual battle. Now, I'm not going to get this as eloquently as he
said it, but it was along the lines of...
"Christian's soul
reflected the image of God, and that explains why people were attracted
to him." He commented on the many circles of friends and colleagues
Christian had. We agreed and talked about how many seemed to come to him
for advice and could confide in him.
His doc also said, "When
you're near death you have someone (loved one who has passed) there with
you, someone you can see and help you cross that bridge. And there's so
much peace."
We very much felt that peace during Christian's last couple days here on earth.
I
walked away feeling so much comfort and peace, and even greater
admiration towards his doctor. And I know he shared that same admiration
towards his patient. As you might guess, Christian was a unique
patient. He came fully prepared to every appointment with questions,
research, and a course of action. He was so courteous to everyone who he
came in contact with. It made me wonder if he would be one of those old
men who teased and flirted with nurses, which brought a smile to my
face but also made me sad not knowing if he would reach that old age.
Visiting
the hospital was a hard thing to do. But God has given me strength to
push through the hard things to honor Christian. I think it is a place I
will visit again, let's pray not for necessity but on my own terms. I
would like to walk those hallways again remembering the time Christian
and I spent there together. Sure, these were hard times, but quality
time spent together. These memories are still so vivid! I would like to
walk those hallways and reflect upon the gratitude I feel for
Christian's strong fight, love for his family, and faith. I would like
to walk circles around the floor where we stayed for one week while he
was recovering from the first surgery, with reflections of thankfulness
for the abundance of support from family, friends, and community.

No comments:
Post a Comment