Friday, May 12, 2017

Grief 101


Whether you have experienced loss yet, or not yet, I feel like everyone in the world needs a crash course on grief.

Schools and even the workplace offers fire drills and tornado drills. There are special initiatives for anti-bullying, embracing different cultures, understanding disabilities, and even physical fitness....all which I support wholeheartedly. But what resources are available to not only a grieving person, but the general community to have a better understanding of grief? I sure couldn't empathize until I walked through it myself. I am positive there were times I said or did the wrong thing, or simply avoided someone because I didn't know what to say or do. I regret that.

My hope is that what I share might be helpful to someone. Thank you for allowing me to be quite frank. Sharing and writing is therapeutic for me, and I seldom get the chance these days.

We all will die someday and our close friends and family members will die to. Bottom line. There is no escaping the inevitable. You can never be fully prepared when you are hit with a major loss, even if it is a loved one who has lived a long, full life. Even if it is someone who has been battling an illness for years.

Here are some things I have learned along my grief journey. Maybe this will help you understand what to expect. Maybe it will help you walk along side someone who is grieving.

1. We all grieve uniquely. And, we should respect each person's grief journey. Obviously, I am pretty open and find it helpful to share with others. I am probably in the minority here. I like to talk about Christian often and welcome any opportunity to share a story or listen to one. It's not easy, and I can't promise no tears. Someone else may not even be able to say their loved one's name. That is okay. Everyone grieves differently.

2. The grieving person calls the shots in terms of timing. They can grieve when they want and for how long they want. You can't put a time limit on it. Many losses will be grieved over the course of a lifetime. Avoid saying things like, "move on", "get over it". I am very fortunate to not have heard these things, but I know others who have.

3. Grieving is a huge responsibility! This has been a big ah-ha realization for me. I wondered why it was taking me twice as long to accomplish a task. Why was I having a hard time concentrating? Why do I feel stuck? There are times I feel consumed with the task of grieving. There are some days when I feel like everything I do is as a result of my husband's death. But it is my responsibility and privilege as a parent to explore every resource available for my kids and be there for them. So, for example, instead of perhaps reading a book for pleasure, I will read a book on the subject of children and grief.

4. We should avoid ranking grief. You may think one person's loss is greater than another's. Loss is loss. We may not relate as much to what the other person might be experiencing, but we share in common the pain and void.

5. There is a significant amount of guilt that accompanies grief. There have been days where I am genuinely having a pretty good day and I am in a good mood, then I pause to realize the good day I am having and start to feel guilty. Also, sometimes I wonder am I being judged? Then there is regret, which goes hand-in-hand with guilt. I try not to dwell on that but learn from it.

6. Grief occurs in waves. I may be having a great day, and when I least expect it, something triggers a memory and a wave of emotion kicks in.  It could be a smell, a TV show we used to watch together, a favorite restaurant, a photo, a silver Jeep Rubicon that passes me on the road, a doctor's office, or music.

7. Transitioning back to every day life can take some time. Church is probably one of the hardest places to be without Christian, but at the same time, the place where I find most peace and comfort. I dove back in without hesitation, but that could be a very difficult step for someone else. Same goes for the workplace.

8. Ask for help and offer help. Don't be afraid to ask for help. In situations where someone's spouse has died, there are large household gaps to be filled. I am very fortunate for the help I receive from my family, but that's not the case for many.

9. Grief is not an identity. I am a child of God. I am a mother, daughter, sister, aunt, friend, volunteer. I am a lover of nature, coffee, ice cream, the ocean. Sure, technically, I am a widow. But that can fall at the bottom of the list.

10. Whether it is grief or other circumstances, we never know what someone else may be going through. Just be kind and practice the golden rule!

How do I get through grief? One day at a time. I don't let any of my life's circumstances be greater than God. I choose to see the glass as half full and not half empty. I turn to thankfulness each and every day. I serve. I find great joy in helping others. I find peace in the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment