You've not received a blog update in a few weeks for a very good reason. It's been all too "normal" around here. Rest assured, that's a good thing!
"Normal" isn't exactly something one would typically strive to be. However, we are just fine being labeled "normal". We think "normal" is the next best thing.
He's back baby!
When asked the question how my husband is doing, my reply the past two weeks has been, "I feel like I have my husband back." As George Castanza would say, "I'm back baby"! He definitely is back!
He is doing great! No, that is an understatement. He's doing remarkable! He is in nearly perfect condition mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically...well, with the exception of that little bit of cancer that we're working on. There have actually been so many normal moments, that I find myself occasionally remembering, "Oh yeah, my husband has cancer." Not to make light of the situation, because yes, it's a very serious life-threatening disease. But, moments of normal feels awful good.
As far as treatment, he's currently in the second cycle of six, with each cycle lasting three weeks long. He receives treatment the first two weeks, then just has labs that third week. Then the cycle starts again. He will undergo a couple tests/scans in a couple weeks to see how things are responding. We continue to pray the treatment is effective in killing the cancer and not harming anything else in his body.
Best patient ever
Christian is every doctor's dream patient. First, the engineer in him brings out his attention to detail, which they certainly appreciate. I don't think hospital staff will be surprised if he brings up some spreadsheet at his next appointment.
Second, his super personality leaves everyone feeling better. He is so polite to everyone he comes in contact with and is great at cracking jokes. You bet he gives most hospital staff grief about wearing those IU scrubs! He also challenged his doc to shave his head in support of him. Believe it or not, his doctor has never had a patient sport a Mohawk! His nurse the other day said it suited him. I'm not so sure that's really a compliment, but I guess we'll take it.
Speaking of the Mohawk, Luke wants daddy to "put back his hair". You have to admit, the convict look doesn't fit him too well. He's having fun with it, so it's cool.
Extreme support
Back to the Mohawk, one of Christian's best buds from high school took it upon himself to show what I'd call pretty extreme support. A colleague of his has also done the same. All I can say is "WOW"!
Lily and I are next (j/k). I'm toying around with Luke getting at least a buzz cut. If you've seen the kid, you know he's got a head full of hair. We'll keep you posted on that.
Extreme generosity
Not one week has passed without receiving a generous Kroger gift card from a certain group of people. They know who they are, and I know exactly who's been behind it! This sure has helped in a big way, especially since I've taken on trying to incorporate more whole and organic foods into our diet.
Extreme nutrition (mixed with a little bit of crazy)
So, I've kind of been a crazy person in the kitchen lately. The past couple years, we've been making some changes in terms of eating healthier. I may have sped things up a bit considering the current situation. While it's been really interesting researching all the cancer-fighting foods, I kinda learned the hard way that changing your nutrition habits can't happen overnight. I may have failed at trying a few new recipes. The good news is that I have enough chicken stock, vegetable stock, and beef bone stock in my freezer to last a few months!
Was I out of my mind spending 2 hours making carrot, orange, and fennel soup? Yes!
Was I out of my mind purchasing the most expensive spice to make a chicken and rice dish? Maybe a little. (By the way, it was Saffron threads and was $12.50!) Oh, and it was one of those failed dishes, but I liked it (and enjoyed it for lunch 3 days in a row!)
I've learned my lesson. Baby steps! Funny, but isn't that the solution for most things?
Extreme humor
We've heard it helps if you can mentally picture the medicine fighting the cancer. Christian and I like to joke about how we are attaching it with our own magic or super hero powers. Occasionally, I'll pull out a couple Kung Fu moves on it. I also like to pretend I have a laser gun and am blasting those nodules. Last night I was "squishing it like grape" (from the movie Sixteen Candles).
On another funny aside, Christian made me pick him up a Super Steak from La Bamba last night. Apparently he was dreaming about it so much so that his mouth was watering.
Oh, then Christian and Luke were talking about both their boo boos. Christian said God was healing Luke's tummy (he has a small umbilical hernia that hopefully heals on its own). In turn, Luke asked if God and Jesus were fixing his boo boos. They talked about it some more, then Christian slipped and said boobie instead of boo boo once, and you can imagine where that conversation led to. Boys!
Extreme praise
It's hard to believe that good is coming from this situation, but it is. There is so much to praise, I don't even know where to begin! I'll write about this more, but for now, I am thankful most for Christian's attitude and that he has experienced very little side effects other than being a sleepy-head for a few days after treatment.
To God be all the Glory!
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." -Proverbs 16:9
Thanks for sharing. Normal things are good. :)
ReplyDeleteChristian,
ReplyDeleteI just learned of this today, and wanted to say I'm "all-in" for ya, adding you to my prayer list, and wishing you well during your fight and recovery.
Thanks Steve. I'm doubling down on killing the bad guys.
Delete