Christian again. Well, the Chicago trial drug
didn’t work well enough. Nothing new and everything was stable except
some lung lesions, but they grew enough to require a different path –
this will be the sixth drug regimen.
What’s next? Well, I had circled up with my doctor
prior to CT results to plan for unfavorable results……so we have two
things going right now:
Firstly, there is a drug not yet released by the
FDA called ET-743 / Trabectedin / Yondelis. I can get access to this
drug at the Norton Cancer Institute in Louisville under compassionate
use. IU does not offer this due to the additional
costs for compassionate use, they would if it were FDA approved. My understanding is that there are
additional regulatory and reporting requirements to maintain when a drug
is release as compassionate use. Norton have been carrying this drug
on studies for ~10 years, so I expect the drug company
might help with the costs - something to find out. I have to
stay as an in-patient for a 24-hour infusion every 21 days. Different,
but that’s just how they administer this drug. The good news is, I can
have any other work carried out at IU – blood,
CT, etc. Start dosing next Tuesday the 2nd! Side-effects are not expected to be extreme….will see.
The second parallel path is with the IU Genomics group.
They had previously been focusing on breast cancer, but have recently
expanded scope to take hard-to-treat patients with other cancers….like
me…) They partner with a company call Paradigm
that supposedly has the most extensive and cutting-edge genetics
testing approach available. The doctor said this is the billion dollar
test 10 years ago. Now it is ~$5k. They do a full genetic
sequencing of the tumor to look for “typos”. Then hopefully
they have something in “all of the cancer treatment universe”-my
words…..that could provide a benefit against what they find. There are
a number of companies, and many tests available. I already had a Foundation
One test in Boston, but nothing came of it. This Paradigm
test is supposed to be much more extensive. Why didn’t they do this
earlier? This is early days for this “designer” activity, mainly due to cost. I’m thankful it is available now and hope something
comes of it, in spite of some doctors reservations
on its ability to tell us something useful.
For the genomics testing, they can use stored
tissue from my last surgery (lung), but I’ve been treated with three
different drug lines since. It is generally thought that the tumor response could have changed over the course of these treatments,
and so the doctors left it to me to decide if I wanted a new
biopsy…….Well, of course! Let’s give it our best shot. So I get a core
biopsy of the lung on Friday.
I had two needle biopsies of the liver for the last study, but
this is lung and the
big needle. Good news! - I appear to be a ripe specimen for them with a great tumor location as the nurse said
they were going to sequence my twice, once for free…..”What?” They are
going to do both core (bigger needle) and fine needle (small needle) and
compare the results to see if they can get
the same level of fidelity with the smaller needle. That works….more
eyes interrogating my data.
| Luke and his pre-K graduation! Really happy Keri is able to stay home with the two kids - big summer plans!! |
| Lily (2nd grade) received one of the two year-end art awards at Kitley Elementary this morning that are permanent at the school! Proud parents. |
Just over $5,000 was raised at Lily's annual lemonade stand!!!!!! Lily had a great result from her lemonade stand to go to a great family with a 6th grader battling cancer. Thanks to so many of you, family, friends, strangers.....near and far, for making life
better.
See more by joining the Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1551248338477525/
Overdue thanks to Ellen and Anthony for sponsoring a nice Valentines dinner for Keri and me. Unnecessary, but great!
Many thanks to all of Keri's friends who are a tremendous help and support! She's always bragging about those MOPS moms, one of which is Angie Worden, who took some great family photos! Thanks, Angie!
My friends are awesome.
Family - they fill all the holes! Thank you!.....Especially my lovely wife for everything!
Christian, Keri, Lily, Luke

Thank you for the latest update. Continuing our prayers to you and your family. Those 2 options you mentioned are the best modern medicine can offer. Let us hope and pray they work for you. Keep us posted.
ReplyDelete