Christian is doing remarkably well!
Compared to his big surgery in Nov. 12, this
time around he has far fewer tubes, there are far fewer check ups by
nurses and other hospital staff, so that means he's certainly on the
road to recovery!
Monday morning's surgery took about four hours. The doctor pretty much stuck to the plan and was able to extract 10 lesions. There were a number (15-20) of small spots (enucleations) on the surface of the lung that were removed as well, in addition to some lymph nodes. The idea was to go for the obvious bad lesions, but to also take along anything close by or easy to get to (all the while preserving as much of the lung as possible). It'll be real interesting to see what pathology comes back with on all these specimens. Every one of these will be tested. We already know that some of them were responsive on the PET scan, which is why they needed out ASAP. But we pray that many come back as dead/inactive, which will mean all that chemo did it's job!
Yesterday, Christian graduated from the liquid diet to regular food. He also took two laps around the hospital floor. That's great progress!
He has an epidural, which is pretty common with surgeries these days, so his pain is managed and has been minimal.
He's got to have the best bed side manner around, so I best remind these nurses that he's all mine! He likes to ask everyone how their days are going and crack jokes.
I anticipate he'll be discharged on Friday, but it could be tomorrow. The hospital has a ban on visitors right now, family only, because of the flu. But I'm sure he'll appreciate catching up with friends and some visitors once he's home.
As for me, I'm surprisingly getting okay sleep. Like I said, there are far fewer monitors beeping, nurses checking in, etc. Thankfully the kiddos are enjoying good quality time with their Mimi and Papaw, and soon-after Nana and Grandpa, so they're in the best of hands. I guess I'm kind of stuck here because of the snow, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
We're so very thankful for all the support, encouragement, and continued prayers offered by so many! I'm especially amazed by how this has been extended from friends of both our families, some of whom Christian and I have never met. We're feeling the love all over the world from my sister's in-laws in Japan, to friends in the UK and Finland, to family in California. Wow!
We have sooooo many people to thank for soooo many different things. I have the good intentions of writing a personal note to each one of you, but please forgive me if I miss you. There are just soooo many! I love the concept of "paying it forward", so how about we plan on that?
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
-James 1:2-3
I'm so glad to hear things went as planned. I'd been wondering how he did on Monday. You are all in my prayers every single day!!!!!
ReplyDeleteKeri, Your positive attitude is inspiring. I am so happy that things are going so well so far. Christian is on my nightly prayer list and will stay there for as long as he needs.
ReplyDeleteSherry